2. Australian Tobacco Marketing Advisory Committee Annual Report 1994. Year ended 31 December 1994 regarding the operation of the Tobacco Marketing Act 1965. Canberra: Canberra Times Fine Print, 1995.
3. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Demographic Statistics. December quarter 1997. Catalogue No 3101. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, June 1998.
4. The Trade Practices (Consumer Product Information Standards). (Tobacco) Regulations, Commonwealth of Australia Gazette. 29 March 1994, amended 6 December 1994, through Statutory Rules No 408.
5. Narayanan S [Research editor]. Annual Report. Supermarket categories: Market sizes and shares. Retail World 1993 December 13-17: 25.
6. Lee PN (ed). Tobacco consumption in various countries. London: Tobacco Research Council, 1975.
8. Hill DJ, White VM, Gray NJ. Measures of tobacco smoking in Australia 1974-1986 by means of a standard method. Med J Aust 1988; 149: 10-12.
9. Hill DJ, White VM, Gray NJ. Australian patterns of tobacco smoking in 1989. Med J Aust 1991; 154: 797-801.
10. Hill D, White V. Australian adult smoking prevalence in 1992. Australian Journal of Public Health 1995; 19: 305-308.
11. Hill D, White V and Scollo M. Smoking behaviours of Australian adults in 1995: trends and concerns. Med J Aust 1998; 168; 209-213.
12. Visalpattanasin P, Wearne KL, Armstrong BK. Trends in the uptake of smoking in Busselton, Western Australia. Community Health Stud 1987; 11 (suppl): 21s-28s.
13. US Department of Health and Human Services. Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of progress. A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, Maryland: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 1989. DHHS Publication No (CDC) 89-8411.
14. Bjartveit K. The Cardiovascular Disease Study in Norwegian counties. Acta Medica Scandinavia 1983; Supplement 675: 64.
15. Taioli E, Wynder EL. Effect of the age at which smoking begins on frequency of smoking in adulthood (Letter). New Engl J Med 1991; 325: 968-969.
16. Council on Scientific Affairs, American Medical Association: Council Reports: The worldwide smoking epidemic. Tobacco trade, use and control. JAMA 1990 Vol 263, No 24:3312-3318.
17. Laugesen M, Meads C. Tobacco advertising restrictions, price, income and tobacco consumption in OECD countries, 1960-1986. Br Journal of Addiction 1991; 86: 1343-1354.
18. Chapman S. Changes in adult cigarette consumption per head in 128 countries, 1986-1990. Tobacco Control 1992; 1: 281-284.
19. Tobacco Merchants Association of the US Inc. To the year 2000. In: 1993 Maxwell Tobacco Fact Book. Raleigh, North Carolina: Speccomm International Inc, 1994: 32-35.
20. Skolnick AA. US Government criticized for helping to export a deadly epidemic of tobacco addiction. JAMA 1992; 267: 3256-3257.
21. The World Bank. World development report 1993: Investing in health. New York: Oxford University Press, 1993.
22. Todd GF. Cigarette consumption per adult of each sex in various countries. J Epidemiol Community Health 1978; 32: 289-293.
23. Jamrozik K, Vessey M, Fowler G, Wald N, Parker G, van Vunakis H. Controlled trial of three different anti-smoking interventions in general practice. Br Med J 1984; 288: 1499-1503.
24. Hill DJ, Gray NJ. Patterns of tobacco smoking in Australia. Med J Aust 1982; 1: 23-25
25. Hill DJ, Gray NJ. Australian patterns of tobacco smoking and related health beliefs in 1983. Community Health Stud 1984; 8: 307-316.
26. Hill DJ. Australian patterns of tobacco smoking in 1986. Med J Aust 1988; 149: 6-10.
27. Hill D, Willcox S, Gardner G, Houston J. Cigarette and alcohol consumption among Australian secondary schoolchildren in 1984. Melbourne: Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria, 1984.
28. White V, Hill D, Gardner G, Pain M. Cigarette and alcohol consumption among Australian secondary schoolchildren in 1987. Melbourne: Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria, 1990.
29. Hill DJ, White VM, Williams RM, Gardner GJ. Tobacco and alcohol use among Australian secondary school students in 1990. Med J Aust 1993; 158: 228-234.
30.Hill DJ and White VM. Tobacco use among Australian secondary students in 1996. In submission.
31. Gray NJ, Hill DJ. Patterns of tobacco smoking in Australia. Med J Aust 1975; 2: 819-822.
32. Beriot C. Tobacco prices, taxes and consumption in Australia. Melbourne: Victorian Smoking and Health Program 1993.
33. White V. Unpublished data. Melbourne: Centre for Behaviour Research in Cancer, Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria, 1991, 1994.
34. Anonymous. 'Low-tar' cigarettes -- the real story. Choice 1993; August: 14-17.
35. White V. Unpublished data. Melbourne: Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria, 1992.