Tobacco in Australia
A comprehensive review of the
major issues in smoking and health in Australia, compiled by the Cancer Council
Victoria. Production of editions 2 to 4 of this publication has been funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. Ongoing updating is also being funded by the Australian Government Department of Health, with contributions from Cancer Councils in all states and territories.
This work has been produced with the objective of bringing about a reduction in death and disease caused by
tobacco use. Much of it has been derived from other published sources and these
should be quoted where appropriate. The text may be freely reproduced and
figures and graphs (except where reproduced from other sources) may be used, giving
appropriate acknowledgement to Cancer Council Victoria.
Editors and authors of this work have tried to ensure that the text is free from errors
or inconsistencies. However in a resource of this size it is probable that some
irregularities remain. Please notify Cancer Council Victoria if you become
aware of matters in the text that require correction.
Scollo, MM and Winstanley, MH. Tobacco in Australia: Facts and issues. Melbourne:
Cancer Council Victoria; 2016. Available from www.TobaccoInAustralia.org.au
<Author(s) of relevant chapter section>, <Name of chapter section> in Scollo, MM and
Winstanley, MH [editors]. Tobacco in Australia: Facts and issues.
Melbourne: Cancer Council Victoria; <Date last updated>. Available from <url of relevant
chapter or section>
- Section 15.7 (Commonwealth and state/territory legislation to ban smoking in public spaces): updated October 2016
- Commonwealth and state/territory legislation on tobacco advertising & promotion: updated October 2016
- Chapter 8 (Tobacco use among Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islanders): updated September 2016
- **New chapter** Chapter 18: Potential for harm reduction in tobacco control (includes e-cigarettes): published August 2016
- Section 11.9 (Retail promotion and access): updated and majorly expanded April 2016
- Chapter 1 (Prevalence, including an analysis of NDSHS data for detailed prevalence figures and trends only available in Facts & Issues): updated December 2015
- Chapter 3 (Health effects of active smoking): updated May 2015
- Section 13.2 (Tobacco taxes in Australia) and Section 13.3 (The price of tobacco products in Australia): updated March 2015
- Links at the end of each section, where recent news and research relevant to each topic is compiled
- Chapter 5 (Influences on the uptake and prevention of smoking): updated November 2014